Dog Suckling .. could be on a toy, a blanket, other animals etc ..
Although this practice they exhibit maybe strange in fact it is quite common among young dogs. This behavior is equivalent to a child sucking its thumb but with dogs and it seems to be something they do not grow out of as they get older. With this self-comforting activity they may suckle on stuff animals, toys, other animals, human parts, blankets ... can be anything really.
Some reasons for this behavior include
- More than 1 owner at an early age
- Re-Homed at an early age
- prematurely weaned
Owners who try to remedy their dog out of this habit are often unsuccessful and the dog will eventually find something else to suckle on. Again I am told that there is nothing wrong with suckling and nothing bad comes out of this long term as well. However you will need to through the sucklee in to the washing machine once in a while.
There is indication as well that dogs that suckle tend to be more sensitive in nature and carry on juvenile behavior into adulthood. Such dogs are more likely to be loving and sweet-natured, to be more dependant on the company and protection of their owners, more unhappy about being parted from them and more likely to suffer from disturbances if rehomed or separated from their owners.
Here's a video of Mocha the Frug Bug Suckling on her Favorite Doggy Stuffed Toy
Last Updated (Saturday, 11 October 2014 10:33)
- Top 10 Best Beaches on Vancouver Island
- Dog Suckling
- Costa Rica in 10 Days or One Week
- My Customer Service Experience with www.autopartsway.ca
- The Most Expensive Home in Victoria (in 2011)
- Product Name Fails
- Vancouver Island Lake Homes, Ocean Front & Beach Front Vacation Rentals (some Pet Friendly )
- Dyson's releases New Pet Hair Technology: Vacuum Hair Off Your Dog
- Victoria Christmas Truck Parade 2010 Videos
- Sleepy Dog that Sleeps on Other Dogs - Nirvana Pet Resort Victoria, BC